Sunday 17 March 2019

Second Sunday of Lent 2019: Choral Evensong



“Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.”
Jesus (Luke 14:27)

I spoke this morning about the deep and terrifying darkness. I do not know what your deep and terrifying darkness, that descends upon you when the sun has set and you are lying in your bed, is; and, unless you choose to tell me, it is none of my business. I do not need to know. But I do know that none of us gets through life untouched by deep and terrifying darkness.

Jesus’ cross was literal, the instrument of execution by the Roman state. Our cross is metaphorical; but I suspect that it is the thing that is our own deep and terrifying darkness, whatever that may be. Jesus cites fear of ridicule, defeat, and loss of possessions as examples; but the deep and terrifying darkness contains many terrors. And Jesus invites us to meet him there, not so that he can lead us by another way that circumvents the deep and terrifying darkness, but in order to lead us through death to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment